Wednesday, August 2, 2017

AN ODE TO MY DAD ..... 3

AN ODE TO MY DAD…..3

When we were in The Nilgiris we were naïve. We did not know how to talk in double meaning or twisted sentences. What we felt we spoke. Live in Kallidaikurichi was very different. Each and every person used to outsmart the other. In terms of academics, sports and extracurricular activities etc. everyone was smart and with very high level of competitive spirit. The river Tambhrabarani in Thirunelveli district was the nurturer of talent all the way. Thus both Saivaism and Vaishnavism thrived in the banks of the river. We used to say that the natural smartness and enterprising spirit of the people of the district was due to the unique nature of water from that river.

 As Cauvery is to Trichirapalli and Tanjavur district Tambhrabarani is for Thirunelveli district. On arriving in Kalliadaikurichi we saw in front of our own eyes role of wealth, keen interest for art and culture exhibited by wealthy people, their life style first hand. Same manner we also learnt that in an over grown village like Kallidaikurichi there was no secret, each and everyone was keener on what was getting cooked in other’s house, what was going on with others in their lives etc.

So we boys became worldly wise over a period of time. My father had his office in Ambasamudram a neighboring village and he used to walk everyday four KM one way to attend office and return in the evening. Later he was shifted to camp site and started staying in Servalar Camp which was 25 KM away from our base at Kallidaikurichi. I vividly recall the day when my mom bid him good bye when he moved to Servalar with tears in her eyes as they had never lived away from each other. He used to come weekends to spend time with us in Kallidaikurichi. He used to cook his food and live a forced bachelor’s life.

My father was deep in love with Tambrabharani River. Later when he moved to Servalar camp he was so fond of Servalar River (Tributary of Tambhabharani) everyday he used to go there take bath, finish his morning prayers and then return.
   
Dad was not a great film buff. But any good film he used to encourage all of us to see. Thus as a family we had seen films like Thiruvarutchellwar, Deivam, Bharathavilas, Shankarabranam (Night Show in Trichi and later travelled to Dindigul!) and lastly Puthumaipen. He also acted in a few dramas as Inspector etc. in the recreation club events.

In 1974 my parents took a tour to Nava Thirupathi (sacred places of Vaishnavism in Thirunelveli district) on Vaikunta Ekadasi fasting the whole day!

In 1976 my younger brother moved to Regional College of Education, Manasagangothri, Mysore. His visit every semester break was a great event for the whole family!  He was also a great entertainer as he used to narrate about every one of his friends in detail. Once my father had to make a trip to Mysore to pay his semester exam fees as the Demand Draft sent by him got misplaced during postal transit!
I moved to Karnal in 1978. My father’s letters used to be a source of motivation and my mother’s letters used to bring all news from far and wide. I came home after a year in 1979. My father used to plot the entire journey map and keep telling everyone that the train would have reached this place and that place. Alas there was a flood that time due to cyclone in Andhra Pradesh and my father was totally lost till I reached home safely!

After my course when I moved to take up an assignment in Guntur my parents came to spend some days with me. Later when I moved to Britannia he was very happy. In the meanwhile my father wanted to build his dream home in Trichi and started construction work there. Due to his poor interpersonal skills in managing electrician and carpenter etc. he had to abandon the work and leave. The problem was these skilled personnel used to come to work in drunken state and my father could not tolerate the same. I had to move in and complete the work. Despite my father being in electricity board we had to perform house warming ceremony of ANUGRAHA without electricity! My father was not in favor of seeking any concession or favors from people in authority there!

                                                                                                                …………….. To be continued 

No comments: