Sunday, August 6, 2017

AN ODE TO MY DAD .....4

AN ODE TO MY DAD…..4

In 1984 my father asked me, whether I was interested in getting married. By then my second brother was in the Indian Navy. Third brother had just finished graduation and started working. Fourth brother was in the final year of his graduation. I had met an old couple in Guntur who were related to a common friend of mine in 1983. When we called on them, he asked me and my friend whether we were married. We told him that though we had started our career two years back, we never thought about starting a family after getting married. He then called his wife of nearly forty odd years and introduced her as his best friend, philosopher and guide. He said that a man’s perspective of life changes so very much after marriage for the better, if one gets a “good partner”!

This chance encounter had lasting impact in my mind. Plus, when I was in college while doing “Earn While you learn “ programme in the library, I had devoured lot of books of Reader’s Digest on family, home economics, parenting etc. Therefore, when my father asked about marriage, I whole heartedly said that I was ready.

My parents, as per then custom in our community started looking for a suitable alliance. I had moved to Britannia, Chennai branch in Jan’1985.  In Feb’85 my parents had come to Chennai to look for a match. I was very clear that I would not go hopping from one house to the other looking for girls, eating sweets, snacks & drinking coffee and then rejecting the match for some vague reason or the other. So my mandate to my parents was that they must do the initial screening and discussion. I would come just for the sake of the girl to meet me and to give final OK.

My parents therefore without prior notice landed a day in advance to meet Jayashree and family on a Saturday. After having stayed in Thirunelveli district for a long time, we had also become like Thirunelveli people, clever. Jayashree’s parents were surprised at the sudden visit. After the initial meeting my father alone came to meet me in Korattur where I was staying then. My mother had been to my uncle’s house for overnight stay. My father had unassailable faith in astrology. Therefore, he was keen that I must say OK after seeing Jayashree.  That night he was so much engrossed in describing Jayashree’s virtues and beauty. He said she was looking like “Meenalochani” and this and that. I still thank him fervently for having chosen such a good companion for me, who has always proved to be pillar of strength in everything I do!

So on 13th Feb’1985 after seeing Jayashree for the first time in her home and meeting her for a few minutes, keeping my Dad’s recommendation in mind I agreed to be her life partner!! Our marriage got solemnized in a grand manner on 22nd May’1985. I had a week of holidays to set up the house, host a tea party in my father’s workplace (by then he was in Mettur Dam) and return to work!

After retirement in 1986, my parents moved to Chennai to stay with us. My father had told me that he would never ever work again. Thus his main interest was only carrying out daily ritual of Poojas and reading news paper. “The Hindu” had a great impact in him. The moment the paper arrived he would start reading the same and after “a glance” as he used to say, the paper used to be passed on to others. The Hindu was sufficient for him to induce sleep at anytime of the day / night. After a few minutes of viewing the paper he would simply doze off.

My father had great interest in my career. At anytime, as soon as I returned from work I must sit with him and narrate the entire day’s event to him in detail. Same way after returning from any interview or meeting I must report to him in total all that had taken place there. When I shifted to Madurai, then to Kanpur, Hyderabad and then Talegaon he was there with us to set up the family. Only after ensuring that the family was safe even in my absence, when I went to office he would leave the town. 

Birth of Sangeetha our daughter was a very interesting occasion for him. The same happened after celebrating his 60th Birthday in a grand manner in Chennai. We took care to ensure that all religious ceremonies were performed to his fullest satisfaction. Sangeetha was on 29th Dec’1986. That evening, I was in Indian Statistical Institute attending to my Diploma Course. After four sons in our family, Sangeetha was the first daughter, so my parents were all the more happy!

Whenever my father visited us in Kanpur, he enjoyed visiting the Ganges to perform rituals associated with no moon day (Ammavasya). He used to wash all his clothes, dry the dothi on the banks of the river. Then typically tie in it Pachakacha style. Once when he was doing the pooja on the banks of Ganges in Kanpur a group of local Sanyasis who were there, came and approached him. After offering their pranams they invited him to smoke charas. My father was shocked and we hastily returned home! Whenever he went on walks in Lal Bungalow area of Kanpur there were dozens of people to touch his feet and seek his blessings as he always had typical tilak on his big forehead!!

During 1989 we visited Banares, Allahabad and Gaya along with my parents, Uncle and Aunt as well as a widowed Bhuva to offer our prayers in every holy place. Apart from that my parents visited Badrinath, Rishikesh, Kedarnath and Naimisaranyam. 
                                                                                …………………. To be continued …



No comments: