Wednesday, January 4, 2017

PROBLEM OR CHALLENGE OR OPPORTUNITY



It has been my firm belief all these days that there is nothing called "problem" in life ! Everything comes and happens with a definite purpose. We got to see things which we normally describe as "PROBLEM" with a different perspective or dimension to see what is there in it for us. Then we may realize that what we see as a Problem initially may be an Opportunity to Challenge our approach !

This may sound philosophical or like a sermon. But it is true. Everything happens with a definite purpose !

Let me narrate an instance to prove my point. As someone with a dabbling interest in stock market I used to apply for almost all initial public offers. Those days there was a glut of IPOs of public sector banks. You need to fill a form attach a cheque and then leave the same with a broker or sub-broker who sends the form to bank. After some days the cheque lodged by you may get cleared. Then you may get some shares as allotment and a refund that goes to bank etc.

I had applied for some shares of Union Bank. In order to arrange for the funds for the cheque submitted I was trying to withdraw INR 10000 from my salary account with a leading private sector bank one early morning in Bangalore. I tried in the ATM in the bank branch near my house. The slip came out as "transaction declined". Second attempt same reply. But on checking my balance INR 10000 was debited. I was shocked beyond words. Called the security and explained my predicament. I was asked to report the matter to the Branch Manager in the same branch as soon as the bank opens.

I arranged for funds from elsewhere to avert return of the cheque I had issued for the IPO. Then reached the bank to lodge complaint. The Manager was very sympathetic and asked me to write a written complaint. Deboice that was probably name of the ATM machine. He told me that they would be called etc. Thus days ran to weeks and nearly a month no concrete reply.

Then a friend of mine asked me to make it a case in consumer court! Thus for the first time in my life I knocked the doors of courts. Two three sittings took place. Seeing my predicament a lawyer stepped in and told me he would take the case further on my behalf as week after week or month after month I could not be seeking permission from the office to attend the consumer court ! I had no choice other than agree.

Bank hired a big lawyer. One of the court hearings, I bumped into the Branch Manager. He was very happy to see me and took me aside for a cup of coffee ! He confided in me that he had written to his Vice President about the genuine nature of my claim and as a principle to arrest avalanche of  complaints of this nature the bank has taken a stance. He also told me that as a bank they are doing well and advised me to pick up some shares from secondary market, though I may not like the bank as a customer, I should love it as an "Investor" and the amount I lost in the ATM would be reaped in no time.

I loved his logic. Next day, I closed my transaction with the bank by closing my savings bank account. Advised my broker to pick up the script from market.

After a few weeks I called the lawyer and casually asked him status of the consumer court case. He told me that the judgement was in favour of the Bank !

In a decade I got 265 % return from the script only by way of appreciation in value, leaving aside all the dividends I have enjoyed all these years.

Now tell me should one see every obstacle as a Problem, Challenge or an Opportunity !!


No comments: