Friday, January 13, 2017

TOTAL EMPLOYEE INVOLVEMENT .....2

It is always nice to receive gifts ! Who does not like to be gifted. However when the gift comes from people who hold you in high esteem it makes all the more nice and gratifying !

A few days back as usual, I was about to call it a day. Wound up my work. Locked my cabin and was moving down to the exit. A few boys and girls were standing in the passage and from their movement I could make out that they were waiting for me. I approached them and as a routine told them in local Malagasy language " Veluma" meaning see you tomorrow. They requested me to wait. As someone who did not want to offend them I stayed put. After a few minutes there was a whole lot of members say around 200 of them.

I could make out that the plant which is expected to run 24x7 was running without any itch and key areas were manned. Thus I was reassured that there was no work stoppage etc. Then the HR Manager came followed by a team called as Delegates in local language.

They are basically opinion leaders of the unit and in other words chosen representatives / leaders.

There was a big circle by then and I was in the middle. The senior delegate who is lady No. 1 gave a long speech wishing me and my family well for the new year. Another girl spoke and sought our blessings for their happy new year.

Then a boy took the stage and stated that they liked me because I am the only Indian who greets them every single day without waiting in Malagasy language " Salama" ( Good Morning !!).

Then it was my turn. I had to apologize to them for speaking in English, which was duly translated by the Supervisor. I wished them well for the new year. I told them that me and my wife like them and their smiling faces which we see every evening when we go around the factory after work for regular walking. I also told them probably for the first time in my career spanning 34 years I get a gift from workmen on New Year. Generally it used to be gift which was handed over during resignation, transfer or such parting function.

Then the President of the delegate told that they have not brought any chicken as gift as I am strict vegetarian and apologized that they could not offer anything for me to eat. I thanked them for sparing the chicken !!!






 

No comments: