Thursday, March 23, 2017

MY TRYST WITH INDIAN LAW....5

The local lawyer was recommended by the district law officer. He was young and seemed to be a reasonable person. He had an office near one of the prominent hotel in Una. The office was small and Spartan furniture. When we reached him he was firing his assistant who was busy typing something on the lap top. We sat in a small bench awaiting his attention. When I looked around I could see on the wall a photograph of our local Industries Minister smiling.
As I was staring at that smiling photo the lawyer became aware of my apprehension and told me that his father who was trading in commodities in Una Market was a congress man and therefore he had kept that photo.
He got hold of all the papers and then asked about the brief background of the case. Then he told me he would file for a bail in sessions court the very next day. He told me that VC should be in his office the very next day by 9 AM. I told him of VC’s wife’s pregnancy and asked him VC should not go behind the bars even for a day. He took details of the same and asked VC to bring Pregnancy related papers the next day.
We were a bit relaxed and reached home late.  Next day morning I went of factory and VC as usual very lackadaisical approach reached lawyers office by 10 AM. I was getting repeated call from the lawyer. By then two police Constables were in my office. I told them that VC would come late as he had taken his wife for a medical check- up.
By the look on their face I got the feeling that they were not convinced. After an hour I got a call from my wife that police constables were in my house and they were asking for VC. In the mean while VC’s wife had come to the balcony and started abusing the constables why were they looking for her husband. She was also throwing weight of her father’s glorious past as police officer in Kanpur.
These were enough for the police to get irritated enough for direct action. By then I got a call from our lawyer that VC was under Judicial Custody as ordered by the local magistrate. We rushed to Una court and found our own VC sitting in the sun sipping tea along with police men.  
I was told by the lawyer that in these SC/ST Atrocities case arrest / judicial custody was mandatory. No one could escape. When we asked him when he would be released we were told that the magistrate in all probability release him the next day.  I could understand that this was purely a whimsical decision left to the magistrate.
Using a common contact met the magistrate in his chamber privately and explained our VCs case. We told him about VC’s wife’s condition. He was sympathetic and listened to all our pleas very politely and asked us to take leave in view of his work pressure.
We then met the local police man arranged for their dinner along with VC in a restaurant nearby. After dinner blanket and other accessories were arranged for VC to sleep peacefully in JUDICIAL CUSTODY !!
                                                         .....to be continued ......


No comments: