Friday, April 21, 2017

OBSESSION.............4


UMA .S

Hi everyone ! My name is Uma S. You would like to know what “S” stands for. Well it stands for Sudhir, my husband’s name. I am the legally wedded, official wife of Sudhir for the past twenty years!

Well, we had a love marriage. In India there are two types of marriages. One is love marriages where couples meet and then date, fall in love and marry. Another one is marriage that happens when couples are brought together in holy matrimony in arranged marriages. Usually parents of the bride and groom are informed of a possible alliance and then they meet, decide and allow you to chat, talk, go out and nothing beyond that. Then if everything, including horoscope and dowry are OK the alliance is consummated.

In my case it was love at first sight as we were living in the same street. Sudhir used to be in IIT and I was in college local one. We met by chance in a common wedding. Then we developed a liking and then went around. Met in beach, parks, cinema halls and then Sudhir proposed to me when he was in final year and by then I was in a job with a bank.

It was I who footed all our outing bills when he was in the last year of his college. Despite this when our relationship came out in the open Sudhir’s mother was not amused and she was very upset as we could not satisfy her greed for dowry, dowry and more dowry.
Luckily I was supported by Sudhir who put his foot down to marry me and our marriage got solmoneised in a simple religious ceremony in the presence of all our family and friends. We had a great reception and the event was pretty lavish for a middle class family of our status to foot. Sudhir arranged to share 50% of the expenses for the reception.

We started our family life together in Sudhir’s ancestral home and we used to leave for work in the morning I went to Bank and Sudhir to his factory. This gave ample time for Sudhir’s mother to go all around the colony to bitch about me. Slowly news started reaching my ears and I had to go for a show down with Sudhir’s mother. Sudhir was disturbed by this. We took a decision to seek a transfer and move to another city where Sudhir’s factory had a branch. Thus we moved from Chennai to Delhi and then to Mumbai.

In the process I had to leave my job and  sit at home as everywhere the Bank could not accommodate my request for transfer.
But though our romantic life was good we were unable to get any child for more than seven years. This was another important point for my mother in law to bitch more about me.


I am always of the opinion that whether  one goes for love marriage or arranged marriage in the end after marriage LOVE has to remain and grown everyday in one’s married life. Unfortunately our love marriage was slowly turning into empty as love was slowly but surely evaporating all these seven years !!

No comments: