Wednesday, April 12, 2017

RINN & ME..........................13

Neglect :-

The seasonal pressures were over. We were working in a relaxed manner. But this relaxation brought chaos in the life of RINN as her mother who was a new recruit was eased out of employment on account of low demand. RINN who was in cloud 9, with her mother’s earning had to come down to earth. Somewhere or the other her mind was poisoned and she was thinking that I was responsible for all her misfortune and continued to show her neglect.

I called her to my office one day and told her that she was behaving unreasonably and told her that her problems were her own making and I had no role to play. On the contrary I told her that I had recommended her promotion and was waiting for a good outcome. I did even show my letter to Director. I did not know how much good I was in convincing her, but I left things then and there without pushing things further.

Meanwhile there was a break of three days leave on account of some holidays. I was asked by RINN what were my holidays plan. I told her that I would stay put at home and relax. On asking her she told that she would be visiting her mother-in-law. I asked her how and when did she get a mother in law as she was not yet married. She told me that she was engaged to one “Jude” and she would be visiting his mother. I knew that she was kidding. But she told that she would visit her mother ion law ?

RINN and me were not able to get along well on the shop floor even for minor things like arranging the layout of work area etc. as she was now trying to show her Union Leader style behavior by instigating the new supervisors against me by telling false stories etc. As the newly recruited supervisors were not very happy with RINN they used to pour their heart out and told that RINN had called me” this” and “that” in Malagasy language. As some one more matured I told them not to carry and tell me stories as I was not interested in gossip.

RINN was fond of songs. But to sing loudly and march out of the factory was not discipline. But she did that intentionally to insult people in power. HR person despite reports had no guts to confront her.

Just before Women’s day when I was on the shop floor behind RINN’s back me and Director were talking. I brought the topic of Supervisor’s as one of the new recruit had left unable to cope up with the work pressure. I asked the Director to promote RINN raising the mail I had sent to him on that. I got a polite but firm “NO” for an answer from him.

But things took a curious turn around International Women’s Day which was a holiday. After the Women’s day we had a cyclone hitting Madagascar by name “Enawo”. The whole area of the factory and surrounding were water logged, was wet and soggy due to heavy torrential rains. As the factory was in an elevated place there was no damage to properties. RINN was sick just before Women’s day. Luck for her she had two days of leave to recoup.

When the factory reopened after the cyclone, on that day I had the tough task of managing operation with limited arrival of workmen. RINN was around with her side kick. I was expecting voluntary help from her to arrange things but I got a haughty “no” for an answer.

But work was work so she had to be moved to a place where she was good at work. The HR Manager coincidentally walked into the floor and he was summoned to tell RINN to move to her place of work. The meek and spine less man was insulted by RINN in Malagasy language and she blew out a bubble with saliva right on his face.   

We were a group of Karanas on  the scene then and we confronted the HR Manager stating that the same behavior was as good as spitting on his face. The spineless and gutless creature told that he did not see that. On being shown the place where the bubble had landed with stain he was very disturbed as we had put our foot down that the matter would be taken up at higher level.

He had no choice other than confronting RINN and asking her to talk to us to resolve the matter. RINN was made up on different material and she by now had become embolden with extra confidence. She politely said “NO” such instance had taken place.

As a stickler to discipline I was a bit shocked by RINN’s behavior and I knew me going and confronting her would be meaningless. I was left with a few sleepless nights contemplating my next move !!

                                                         ………….. to be continued.  

No comments: