Monday, April 10, 2017

RINN & ME..........10

Enter Mummy :-
RINN now and then started talking more about her mother. I learn that the lady was around thirty eight years old. She was working in some garment factory earlier. Now she was jobless and was desperate for work as she was ditched by her husband.
I was told by RINN that she was trying to supplement family income by working in a restaurant where she was expected to wash utensils from early morning till late evening for a pittance. She was paid a paltry sum of 200 Ariary per day which equals to 60 US Cents per day. She was not allowed any leave or weekly holidays. On days when she was away from work there was no salary.
I was also told that due to repeated use of very hard alkali to clean the vessels her hands have developed blisters which used to pain her very much. The plight of poor and down trodden all over the world to me seemed same!
I told RINN to try for some job for her mother in our own company.  My idea was to help RINN some way so she would have assured income. She was very curious and asked me whether that was possible on account of her mother’s advanced age. She was not aware that the director’s preferred ladies passed their child bearing age as they need not think about long maternity leave etc. I told RINN that the employment was possible in sections like hygiene where no high skill was needed.
RINN was also advised by me to talk to the Hygiene section in charge as he was always in need of people due to heavy turn- over of people in her department.
I had the position of janitor / cook for RINN’s mother in the dormitory area as the girl there was on the way to maternity leave. But RINN had probably as per rumor paid money to HR head and arranged for her mother’s position in the packing section itself.
RINN’s mother was nowhere near RINN either in terms of appearance, sophistication, dress sense or grace.  She had a weather beaten face with wrinkles all over. As told earlier her hands were rough on account of heavy work all along.
With the job of her mother RINN was already in cloud 9 and so she was beyond her own imagination and dreams. With the net result she started neglecting everyone around her. It had gone to the extent that she started acknowledging greetings to her even.
It is a very common phenomenon in Malagasy culture to greet and acknowledge each other in the morning as well as when going home. Thus Salama ( good Morning etc.)  and Veluma ( good bye) are very common form of greetings which people look forward from every single person encountered in the morning and evening. RINN had stopped even acknowledging my own greetings !

I was very much put off by that. But as an elder I called her to my chamber and told her that she must understand and respect people who are good to her. She understood my point and told that she had no bad feelings !
                                                             ...............to be concluded..........

No comments: