Wednesday, December 28, 2016

COFFEE FOR COPYING !!!

 
It was 1974 ! I had just joined PUC (Pre University Course.. class 12)  in Sri Parama Kalyani College (SPKC) Alwarkurichi. We used to have mentor system then which is now copied by all corporate giants to keep the staff under their wings. We used to have every Saturday weekly tests in the afternoon, only for PUC students. The tests were held to make us get used to set pattern of questions and answers as well as to make as practice the art of writing exams. On that Saturday we had Physics test. The invigilator was Mr C Neelakantan ( CN). He was our Physics lecturer as well. The test was about to end at the least for me as I had written all the questions. After revision of the paper I was about to get up and hand over the sheets and go. I was getting some nudging from behind. My bus mate, school mate Mahalingam was there sitting behind me. He was asking for some sheets to copy.
In all my innocence, I passed on one of the papers to him. I was waiting for him to return my answer sheet. Mr C N had walked up to the door and was looking outside intentionally ! I felt that was the Perfect time to get my paper back. Mahalingam was returning my paper and I was collecting the same from him. Mr C N casually walked up to us and caught us red handed. He used to wear powerful spectacles and we used to joke that he had four eyes. The same had become true.
I had no face to show to him. I had to return home with a swollen face as I was very upset. We both were told to meet the Principal.
My father used to work in Servalar 35 KM away from our home at Kallidaikurichi. He used to visit us once in a week during weekend. He arrived that day night. I narrated him all that transpired. He reprimanded me for my foolish act. Next day he told me to accompany him.
We went to Alwarkurichi. Visited Mr K H Narayanan our then Principal in his home on that Sunday. He was very courteous and received us. After his usual inquiry he advised me to be careful and not to repeat such stupid act of helping friends in exams. We were treated to delicious Degree Coffee and snacks. He also advised my father to take me to Mr C N in Ambur nearby village and inform him about our meeting with him. We visited Mr C N too in his home. He was also very courteous and advised me. He also treated us to nice coffee. Then along with my father I went to Ambur bus stand where my father treated me to Thirunelveli Halwa in a small sweet stall. Those days landline telephone was also not there in all these villages and every thing was done face to face !!
Through out the day, my father never complained of the trouble he faced running around all over in local bus. On the contrary it made our bonding much stronger.
I learnt the very act of accepting one's mistake and taking necessary IMMEDIATE Corrective action then and there from this simple instance. My father is no more and he passed away sixteen years back, KHN is no more. I have never met CN after 1978. Looking back the amount of love and affection these teachers had make me proud of our college especially for the value they have inculcated in us in every simple act !
It was one of the unique experience in which my father demonstrated his unassailable faith and love in me and became very close to me !!!!

No comments: