Thursday, December 15, 2016

UNCONDITIONAL LOVE ........I LOVE YOU DADDY !


Who does not love his or her dad? Almost everyone loves their dad. This posting is not trying to proclaim my love for my dad, who reached heavenly abode, just before the beginning of the new millennium… though I love my dad very much.  He was never rich by financial yard stick, but he was rich in values. There was always food on the table despite four growing children, fees were paid in time despite the fact that at one point of time there were three college going boys, (it is another matter of them two were on scholarships to take care of most of the needs), there was abundant love and fun. Once in a while … as the Cadbury’s Dairy Milk advertisement that used to run those days….” Gift For Someone you love” there were gifts too for any achievement in rank, extracurricular activities etc.!
This is about an illegitimate girl child born out of wedlock due to someone sowing wild oats. Having lived in Thailand, Malawi and presently in Madagascar it is not uncommon to come across such situations. In Malawi, if one happens to drop a guest back in his hotel… one would be greeted by cat calls by women on the street corners proclaiming their availability for fun. In Thailand as one gets down in the airport one can find ladies seeing off their holiday clients in one gate and the same group then awaiting arrival of customers in another gate after a few hours.
But the recent event was something very different. I had to attend a meeting in town recently. The usual driver due to health issue did not turn up. I had to seek the help of a colleague. He obliged and after the meeting around we were returning from town.  During the drive he was all praise for his late father whom he used to drive around the city. He was boasting of his family’s life style, values, wealth etc. I was after some time embraced by “Nithya Devi” and dozed off.
About to enter our lane the vehicle stopped abruptly and I was told by my driving friend that he would come in a second. I felt strange as he had just picked up two packs of his favorite brand of cigarette a few minutes back in the gas station. Out of curiosity I woke up and started watching the event that was unfolding in the mirror.
A small girl of around seven years was running towards my friend screaming “Love you Daddy “ and with open arms wrapped his legs. There was a woman of approximately in late thirties with streaked hair in disarray, dirty jeans and jacket was approaching my friend.  My friend with the lit dangling cigarette in his lips murmured something.  He then took out a bundle of notes instantly as if the same was kept ready for her.  By then the lady wanted cigarettes I suppose, my friend opened his pack and passed on a few sticks as well the one that was dangling in his lips. The adults had settled their dealings. The clinging small girl was pushed aside by my friend and he started walking towards the car despite the girl screaming “Daddy” sound of which by now reached its peak.  
 I was aware that my friend was passing through a phase of getting rid of an entanglement by doling out monthly ransom to prevent her from going to go legal. This was the first time I happened to see the other side of a man who was proclaiming his love for his dad, family values, rich life style etc. face to face. I was a bit disturbed as the child’s crying face was haunting me.

On reaching home, I switched on the TV to find Raymond girl cozily cuddled holding her father’s suit! 

No comments: