Thursday, December 15, 2016

KUSHBOO GUJARAT KI !!!


I love Gujarat…not because of Narendra Modi Ji…. But because of the Gujarati food. Simple, clean, mostly vegetarian and light on the stomach even if you devour and become a glutton…. from gourmet. No more troublesome on the tummy! Any time in Ahmadabad a visit to “Sasuji” and “Aditi” Restaurants is a must, that too after skipping lunch, so that I could do proper justice to the spread in dinner.  The Kichidi served in the evenings with ghee is simply divine in these places. But when the food comes at an unusual place totally unexpected one has to feel too blessed.
 A few weeks back, I was in Mumbai en route Madagascar. I was given nice tiffin of “Kaandvi” as snack before leaving for the airport. It was very delicious, it just slipped into the food canal smoothly…too good to describe. I was in the airport waiting for boarding.  Kenyan Airways Dream liner 787D was gleaming in the evening sun ready to depart.  Fresh wind from Arabian ocean was embracing the same as if to bid it good bye! The ground team was busy arranging boarding in time.
I got lucky and got a window seat. As flying time to Nairobi is nearly eight hours, I was praying that some- one who does not snore should be seated next to me.  Vijay Mallaya and Air Asia popularized red color uniform for the Air hostess. Mallaya went out of the way to keenly interview and recruit Airhostess of proper personality to carry such red color. Kenyan airways, I do not know why they chose such red color dress to go with their Air Hostess. Well that is their problem.
By now my adjacent seat was empty and the aisle seat was occupied by someone in his late twenties. After the initial warm up smile next it was time for him to greet me “ Khem Choo”. I was thinking for a second, for Gujarati’s their language is “International language”. I also told him “ Charu che” and tried to concentrate on the book in hand.
The flight took off and my neighbor looked at me again and passed on something. I just looked at it and understood that it was home made “Ghutka.” I politely declined stating that I do not take it. Now the seat belt sign was off and after a few minutes it was time for drinks. By now my neighbor and a few of his friends sitting in adjacent seats were in animated discussion. “ Bee, Threen Bottle Vodka le wanu che” another “ Vodka nathi Beer Charu Che”. 
The Airhostess asked my choice and I opted for apple juice.  My companion asked for Vodka and water. He was pleading for two bottles. Firmly but politely he was handed out only one bottle by the air hostess with an advice to go slow. Thus the drinks session was on very interestingly.
 My friend asked me why I was not taking drinks. I told him I drink what I like. He was stating that Gujarat is a dry state and he wanted to make good for what was he missing all those in Christmas holidays. I learnt that he is a diamond cutter and working in Botswana. Second round drinks came it was the same story. My friend passed on his pack of macadamia nuts served in the airline as he wanted to savor the full rich vodka taste. As it is an African delicacy I accepted with whole hearted thanks.

It was time for dinner. My tray came first as I had requested for AVML (Asian Vegetarian Meal). My neighbor was taken aback by the stuff on my plate. He told me to wait and not to eat. I asked him why, he got up and called one of friends to bring “ Teepla and Aam Ki Chutney”. Wow within minutes the packs appeared in front of me.  I was forced to take two  Teeplas and spoon full of aam ki chutney. I asked my friend why did he do all these things to me. Pat came the reply. “We always travel in groups and always carry Teplas for Bee.. Threen Divas.  This journey is for a day and so I wish to share with you”. The Kasuli Methi in the Teepla and aam ki Chuney combination was amazing.
By now I have started talking to my friend and learnt that he was not a habitual drinker. This time he was drinking to get rid of his “sorrow”. I wanted him to elaborate. He was upset that he could not get any alliance during this trip and thus his marriage was going to be delayed.
In the end last round of drinks was on. I was asked my choice by the airhostess. This time I opted for Vodka and passed on the same to my neighbor. Let him irrigate his sorrows after all that was my way of showing gratitude.


No comments: